Friday, July 25, 2014

Thunder Cake

Ok, there is small story behind this cake baking experiment.
My daughter came home from her last day of school before summer break. She asked me to bake a thunder cake to mark the beginning of a fun filled summer break.
She said "I can help you with the recipe mommy, I got the recipe from school. There you go"
and this is what she gave me.


She confirmed with me if I had all the ingredients at home. 
Now the measurements were up to me.. haha... Isn't the cute ?
I quietly googled the recipe of the thunder cake. I did not tell her that I was doing so, of course. 
I kept her under an impression that I was strictly following her recipe. 
Well, then I came across the thunder cake recipe by Patricia Polacco
Here's the link:
http://www.patriciapolacco.com/participation/kidstalk/questions_week/week_3/cake_recipe.html

I followed this recipe with a few modifications. 




Ingredients :
  • All Purpose Flour - 2 1/2 cups
  • Cocoa Powder - 1/2 cup
  • Baking Soda - 1 1/2 tsp
  • Salt - 1 tsp
  • Pureed Tomatoes - 1/3 cup
  • Milk - 1 cup ( the original recipe says 1 cup of water but I added milk because my daughters recipe called for milk )
  • Eggs - 3
  • Sugar - 2 cups
  • Butter - 1 stick (cup)
  • Vanilla - 1 tsp  ( I did not add it because I did not have it. It still tasted good)

Directions
  • Pre heat oven to 350 deg F.
  • Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Keep aside.
  • In a mixing bowl beat the eggs, add melted butter, sugar, vanilla and blend together.
  • Add milk and pureed tomatoes and blend well.
  • To this mixture add the dry mixture which we kept aside. 
  • Take a cake pan, grease and flour it. 
  • Pour this cake mix into the pan and bake for about 40 minutes.
  • You can frost it and add slices fruits of your choice ( strawberries according to my daughter's list ). But I skipped the frosting part. It was too good as is.

My daughter was happy that her recipe was a success.... ;) hushh !!
Thank you Patricia !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment